On 28th/03/2018, the Principal of the College of Medicine and Health Sciences and Ag. Resident Principal for Huye Campus Dr.Jeanne Kagwiza officially opened the Career fair day for students who are based at Huye.
The event was organised by the career and employability services at the campus in partnership with partners that included Rigth seat, Airtel, Bboxx, I&M Bank, and one Acre Fund. The event was organized under the theme “Connect, Empower, Hire” and was held at Huye Campus’ main Auditorium while the exhibition took place at the campus gymnasium. The event brought together the campus management, students and experienced personalities from the private sector enterprises.
The purpose of organising the campus career fair was:
- To develop employability skills and guide students on how best to prepare for the always changing labour market.
- Enhancing career literacy of students which is critical to being marketable upon completion of studies.
- Encourage and enhance confidence and personality from the onset of their academic career.
- Assisting students to have a better understanding of the current demands from potential employers.
- Provide students an opportunity to interact with business people who can share with them opportunities and challenges they face in their respective areas of business.
- Students also got an opportunity to explore careers, how to prepare their CV’s and Resumes and learn how to make better preparations and presentations for job interviews.
In her remarks, Dr.Kagwiza pointed out that students need to have critical thinking in analysing trends and career opportunities, do both search and research for better understanding and knowledge acquisition.
She thanked the organisations and businesses for honouring the invitation. “We appreciate positive external criticism that is aimed at making us better” noted the Principal.
The guest speakers highlighted the importance of risk taking in business, attitude and mind set change towards particular jobs and opportunities, being ambitious, confident, keep searching for new skills and knowledge and be aggressive when necessary to win over businesses.
Published by the PR and Communications office, UR-CMHS
An official from Bboxx, a solar energy solutions provider talks to students during the exhibition
Specialists in various sectors advised students on how to be the best they can
Students and Staff during the discussion
Students got an opportunity to interact with business professionals