KEY RELEVANT PUBLICATIONS
1. Efficacy of a novel sublingual spray formulation of artemether in African children with falciparum malaria. Daryl Bendel Stephen Rulisa Patrick Ansah Sodiomon Sirima
24 August 2015;DOI:10.1128/AAC.00243-15
2. Maternal near miss and mortality in a tertiary care hospital in Rwanda Stephen Rulisa, Immaculee Umuziranenge, Maria Small and Jos van Roosmalen
BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth (2015) DOI 10.1186/s12884-015-0619-8
3. Investigating the association between pregnancy intention and insecticide-treated bed net (ITN) use: a cross-sectional study of pregnant women in Rwanda
Nandini Thogarapalli, Paul Mkandawire, Stephen Rulisa, Isaac Luginaah
01/2015; DOI:10.1007/s10389-015-0676-5, J Public Health
4. A multi-platform metabolomics approach identifies novel biomarkers associated with bacterial diversity in the human vagina
Amy McMillan, Stephen Rulisa, Mark Sumarah, Jean M. Macklaim, Justin Renaud,
Jordan Bisanz, Gregory B. Gloor, Gregor Reid
5. The Impact of Introducing New Vaccines on the Health System: Case Studies from Six Low- and Middle-Income Countries
Helen Elizabeth Denise Burchett; Sandra Mounier-Jack; Sergio Torres Rueda; Ulla K
Griffiths, PhD; Pierre Ongolo-Zogo; Stephen Rulisa; Jean-Marie Edengue; Enrique
Chavez; Yayehyirad Kitaw; Mitike Mollas: Vaccine : Volume 32, Issue 48, 12
November 2014, Pages 6505–6512
6. Harnessing microbiome and probiotic research in sub-Saharan Africa: recommendations from an African workshop: the launch of Microbiome.
Gregor Reid, Nicholas Nduti, Wilbert Sybesma, Remco Kort, Tobias R Kollmann, Rod
Adam, Hamadi Boga, Eric M Brown, Alexandra Einerhand, Hani El-Nezami, Gregory B
Gloor, Irene I Kavere, Johanna Lindahl, Amee Manges, Wondu Mamo, Rocio Martin,
Amy McMillan, Jael Obiero, Pamela A Ochieng¿, Arnold Onyango, Stephen Rulisa,
Eeva Salminen, Seppo Salminen, Antony Sije, Jonathan R Swann, William van
Treuren, Daniel Waweru and Steve J Kemp Microbiome, 2:12 (16 Apr 2014)
7. Affordable assessment of newborn brain health following perinatal asphyxia in East Africa: a pilot study (728.6)
David Clay, Bobby Stojanoski, Annika Linke, Daniel Cameron, Aggrey Wasunna,
Stephen Rulisa and Rhodri Cusack
The Journal of the federation of American societies for experimental biology. ( The
FASEB Journal)vol. 28 no. 1 Supplement 728.6 April 2014
8. Introducing and evaluating competency-based teaching in Rwandan teaching hospitals; a student vs. teacher perspective
Zulianna Ibrahim, Stephen Rulisa and Marjorie Johnson
The FASEB Journal vol. 28 no. 1 Supplement 535.5(2014)
9. Sustained knowledge acquisition among Rwandan physicians participating in a six-month ultrasound training program
Henwood PC, Douglass ER, Rempell JS, Murray AF, Liteplo AS, Mackenzie DC, Leo MM,
Dean AJ, Vaillancourt S, Krebs E, Dukundane D, Rulisa S, Noble V.
Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine, 15(S1), S92 (2014)
10. Community mobilization for malaria elimination: application of an open space methodology in Ruhuha sector, Rwanda
Chantal Marie Ingabire, Jane Alaii, Emmanuel Hakizimana,Fredrick Kateera,Daniel
Muhimuzi,Ingmar Nieuwold,Karsten Bezooijen,
Stephen Rulisa, Nadine Kaligirwa, Claude Muvunyi, Constantianus
JM Koenraadt, Leon Mutesa, Michele Van Vugt and Bart Van Den Borne
Malaria Journal 2014, 13:167
11. Point-of-care ultrasound use over six-month training period in Rwandan district hospitals. Henwood PC, Rempell JS, Liteplo AS, Mackenzie DC, Vaillancourt S, Douglass ER, Dukundane D, Rulisa Stephen, Dean AJ, Noble V. African Journal of Emergency Medicine Volume 3, Issue 4, Supplement, December 2013, Pages S5–S6
12. Sustained knowledge acquisition among Rwandan physicians participating in six-month ultrasound training program
Henwood PC, Douglass ER, Rempell JS, Murray AF, Liteplo AS, Mackenzie DC, Leo
MM, Dean AJ, Vaillancourt S, Krebs E, Dukundane D, Rulisa Stephen, Noble V.
African Journal of Emergency Medicine Volume 3, Issue 4, Supplement, December
2013, Pages S15–S16
13. A comparison of the pharmacokinetics of Aspen Ceftriaxone and Rocephin in community-acquired meningitis
G A Richards,E Elliott, E J Shaddock,D Mushi, M Mzileni,R Ray, Stephen Rulisa, F
Seolwane,S L Stacey, A Stolz, J P Venturas, H Schoeman
S Afr Med J 2013; 103; 103(12):906-906.DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.7086
14. “Near Miss” Maternal Mortality: Uterine and Intestinal Rupture following Blunt Trauma.
Venant N, Rulisa Stephen, Small M. Accepted to Journal of Women’s Health Issues
and Care, 2013
15. Prophylactic ampicillin versus cefazolin for the prevention of post-cesarean infectious morbidity in Rwanda
Victor N Mivumbi, Sarah E Little, Stephen Rulisa, James A Greenberge Int J gynecol
obstet. Nov 2013
16. Malaria prevalence, spatial clustering and risk factors in a low endemic area of eastern Rwanda: a cross sectional study
Stephen Rulisa, Fredrick Kateera, Jean Pierre Bizimana, Steven Agaba, Javier
Dukuzumuremyi, Lisette Baas, Jean de Dieu Harelimana, Petra F Mens, Kimberly R
Boer, Peter J de Vries; PLoS ONE 01/2013; 8(7):e69443
17. Barriers and solutions for timely initiation of antenatal care in Kigali, Rwanda: Health facility professionals’ perspective
Jill Hagey, Stephen Rulisa, Rafael Pérez-Escamilla. Midwifery. 2013 Mar 26
18. Emergency Obstetrics Knowledge Retention and Predictors of Competence Among Senior Medical Students at the National University of Rwanda Faculty of Medicine; Int J gynecol obstet. Dec 2012
Nazaneen Homaifar, MBA, David Mwesigye, MD, Samuel Tchwenko, MPH, Ayaba
Worjoloh, MD, MPH, Shahrzad Joharifard, Patrick Kyamanywa, MD, MPH, FHEA, Jeff
Wilkinson, MD, Stephen Rulisa, MD, Nathan M. Thielman, MD, MPH
19. Pharmacovigilance of artemether-lumefantrine in pregnant women followed until delivery in Rwanda. Stephen Rulisa, Nadine Kaligirwa, Steven Agaba, Corine Karema, Petra F Mens, and Peter J de Vries . Malaria Journal 2012, 11:225
20. Fetal and maternal hemodynamics in acute malaria during pregnancy. Stephen Rulisa, Nadine Kaligirwa , Steven Agaba , Placide Karangayire ,Petra F. Mens , Peter J. de Vries. Int J gynecol obstet. July 2012
21. Prevalence and predictors of giving birth in health facilities in BugeseraDistrict, Rwanda.
BMC Public Health 2012, 12:104 Shahrzad Joharifard, Stephen Rulisa, Francine
Niyonkuru, Andrew Weinhold, Felix Sayinzoga, Jeffrey Wilkinson, Jan Ostermann7 and
Nathan M Thielman
22. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices in safe motherhood care among obstetric providers in Bugesera, Rwanda. Int J gynecol obstet. Nov 2011. Ruchi Puria,Stephen Rulisa,Shahrzad Joharifardc,Jeffrey Wilkinsond, Patrick Kyamanywae, Nathan Thielmana
23. International Medical graduates in the USA: a quantitative study on perceptions of physicians migration. BMJ open 2011
G Chen, D Berger, A Gozu, S Rulisa, L A Carry
24. Achieving large ends with limited means: Grand strategy in global health, International health, 2010
Leslie A Curry, Minh A Luong,Stephen Rulisa, Laurent Tailor, Elizabeth H Bradley
25. Malaria has no effect on birth weight in Rwanda
Stephen Rulisa ,Pètra F Mens, CorineKarema, Henk DFH Schallig, Nadine Kaligirwa,
Joseph Vyankandondera, Peter J de Vries: Malaria Journal 2009, 8;194
26. Efficacy and safety of a fixed dose artesunate-sulfamethoxypyrazine-pyrimethamine compared to artemether-lumefantrine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria across Africa: a randomized multi-centre trial.
IssakaSagara, MD, Stephen Rulisa, MD WilfredMbacham, PhD, Ishag Adam, MD,
KouraneSissoko, MD, HammaMaiga, MD, Oumar B Traore, MD, NiawanlouDara,
PharmD, Yahia T Dicko, MD, AlassaneDicko MD, AbdoulayeDjimde, PhD, F. Herwig
Jansen MD, Ogobara K Doumbo, MD: Malar J. 2009 Apr 14;8(1):63;
27. Genetic Analysis of Rwandan patients with cystic fibrosis like- symptoms: identification of novel Cystic fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator (CFTR) and Epithelial Sodium Channel Gene Variants (ENaC).
Mutesa L, Azad AK, Verhaeghe C, Segers K, Vanbellinghen JF, Ngendahayo L,
Rusingiza EK, Mutwa PR, Rulisa Stephen, Koulischer L, Cassiman JJ, Cuppens H,
Bours V.(2008) : Chest. 2008 Nov 18.
28. Comparison of different artemisinin-based combinations for the treatment of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in children in Kigali, Rwanda, an area of resistance tosulfadoxine-pyrimethamine: artesunate plus sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine versus artesunate plus sulfamethoxypyrazine/pyrimethamine.
Rulisa Stephen, Gatarayiha JP, Kabarisa T, Ndayisaba G.(2007): Am J Trop Med Hyg.
2007 Oct; 77(4):612-6.
29. Neonatal screening for sickle cell disease in Central Africa: a study of 1825 newborns with a new enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay test. Mutesa L, Boemer F, Ngendahayo L, Rulisa Stephen, Rusingiza EK, Cwinya-Ay N, Mazina D, Kariyo PC, Bours V, Schoos R.J Med Screen. 2007; 14(3):113-6
30. The added value of ultrasound for the diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy in women operated for lower abdominal pain.
Rulisa Stephen.,Vyankandondera J, Van den Ende J. (2006): Rwanda medical journal
31. The outcome of breach presentation: experience of CHUK
Munyankindi L, Vyankandondera J, S Rulisa; Rwanda medical Journal 2011
32. Effects of malaria on pregnancy in Rwanda (2002–2007) – Study on pregnancy outcomes. Stephen Rulisa, Peter J. de Vries, J. Vyankandondera International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics (Impact Factor: 1.56). 10/2009; 107. DOI: 10.1016/S0020-7292(09)61187-5